There are many ways to take in the sights of beautiful Dutchess via all manners of transportation! Soak in the sights of the heart of the Hudson Valley.
Take a train straight into Dutchess County! Metro-North’s Hudson Line stops in Beacon, New Hamburg, and Poughkeepsie. The Harlem Line goes to Pawling, Appalachian Trail, Harlem Valley-Wingdale, Dover Plains, Ten Mile River and Wassaic. Learn more about Metro-North’s car-free getaways including various sites in Dutchess County. Amtrak also stops in Poughkeepsie and Rhinecliff.
Flying to the Hudson Valley is easy, whether you're flying from near or far! With a county, nearby international, and a small privately owned airport open to the public, we're only a plane ride away.
Hudson Valley Regional Airport, Wappingers Falls
Stewart International Airport (SWF), Newburgh
Sky Acres Airport, Lagrangeville
Commercial aircrafts have nothing on a vintage biplane experience! Get a bird's eye view of Dutchess County on the wings of yesteryear. Soak in the view from an open cockpit biplane at Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome. Quite argueably some of the most breathtaking views you can find.
Take Dutchess County in at your leisure! Your own two feet will get you to some of the best places in the Hudson Valley.
- The Museum in the Streets© of Millbrook is a self-guided walking tour, featuring 31 permanent plaques, designed to promote a sense of historical identity and encourage the preservation of local history.
- Head out from the Beacon Train station and discover Long Dock Park along the Hudson River, Dennings Point, the site of a former important brickyard, Main Street with the shops and art galleries, and hike up Mount Beacon along the incline railroad trail.
- And of course don't forget the Walkway Over the Hudson, 212' above the Hudson River and 1.25 miles long!
Green, healthy, and fun, biking is always a great choice!
- Bike several scenic trails in Rhinebeck and Red Hook
- Follow the 13 mile, multi-use Dutchess County Rail Trail. Stretching between Hopewell Junction and the Walkway over the Hudson, this trail has convenient parking at various locations along the route. On the eastern side of the county lies the Harlem Valley Rail Trail. Weaving through farmland, forests and village centers, this 10 mile trail runs from Wassaic to Millerton. Discover more about these two rail trails here.
- Finally, enjoy these self-guided bike tours of various spots in Dutchess County. If biking is new to you, try renting one!
Enjoy a premiere sightseeing experience with Hudson River Cruises! Now offering departures from Poughkeepsie the first Saturday of every month. Relax and enjoy scenic views of lighthouses, fall foliage, waterfront mansions and more. Book your trip today.
Take a boat ride to visit a castle located on an island in the Hudson River! Board the Estuary Steward in Beacon and cruise to Pollepel Island to visit Bannerman’s Castle. Guided and self-guided tours are available, along with special events.
Nothing is more American than cars and there are plenty of places to go! Enjoy these self-guided scenic car tours through the beautiful Hudson Valley. No car? No problem – Zipcar is here. Find them in Beacon, Poughkeepsie, Hyde Park & Annandale-on-Hudson.
Beacon has become a bustling city with lots of charm, attracting visitors from New York City, the surrounding Northeast region and beyond! Whether you take the train in, or are just looking to explore Main Street, the Beacon Free Loop conveniently provides transportation for free! You can ride the Beacon Free Loop Monday through Saturday all day (6:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.), from the Beacon Metro-North Station and Dia Beacon, up to Main Street and to Mount Beacon.
Whether you ride a cruiser, chopper, or touring bike, you’ll soon discover that Dutchess County has many motorcycle-friendly roads to explore. There are plenty of routes with long scenic stretches, gentle hills, and thrilling twists and turns. Find routes all over the county here.
Don't just spend time outdoors, do it on horseback! There are many farms and stables that you can find all over the county including Calypso Farm, Netherwood Acres, and Southern Dutchess Equestrian Center. Find one that suits you and head off through some of Dutchess County’s most beautiful countryside.
It may only occur once a year, but the Annual Hudson Valley Hot-Air Balloon Festival is one worth planning for! Mark your calendar and purchase tickets for a hot-air balloon ride over the majestica Hudson River valley. Spend the weekend witnessing balloon launches, the Illumination Moon Glow, fireworks and more!